GP800r Engine Replace Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP800r Engine Replace Questions

In the process of replacing a motor on a 2001 GP800r. Following the SBT instructions. Any tips on how to get the exhaust manifold off? I have lots of sockets and extensions, but apparently not enough, clearance is terrible and visibility is non-existent.

Also, any tips on the motor mounts? I thought I would take the bolts out, turn the engine over a bit, then take the manifold off. However, the mounts just try to spin when I try to remove the bolts. I guess I could take off the mounts where they bolt to the body, but that seems like a bad idea.

Thanks for your help,

Harmon Poole

ps - SBT tech guys - if you read this, you might want to update the instruction sheets, they do not address removing the manifold, and are pretty unclear when it comes to removing the engine cable from the electrical box.

Re: GP800r Engine Replace Questions

Hi, I have a 2000 gp1200r which is the three cylinder. When I rebuilt my engine I pulled the carbs off and exhaust pipes i left mainifold on engine and then removed it after i pulled engine its alot easier. As far as the engine mounts you will probably need to pull bolts out of hull that is what i did then put some wd-40 on them. If the mounts are spinning then i would replace them. Hope this helps.

Comment

Use channel locks to hold the spinning mounts then unscrew the single bolt holding the mount to the bed plate.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies. JetSki, I finally got the exhaust manifold off, working blind from the opposite side of the motor. God knows how I will put it back on, unless I put it on before I put the moter back in (though this just transfers the problem to the starter).
        Tech Admin, thanks also, we used 2 channel locks to hold the motor mounts and got the bolts out. Not sure if I will have to replace any yet.

DOes anyone have any advie on how to get guide pins out?

best to all,

H Poole

Comment

When I changed my power valves and had to remove the exhaust manifold I used my wife's facial mirror. It will help you see where the bolts go. I know I will never buy a 800 again because of the PIA removing the manifold is. I'll sell it before I have to degunk the PV. Pro tech guys....if you do this service for less than a grand your giving away your time air wrenches or not! Just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks all for feedback. Got the old motor out, got the new one in. We looked like we knew what we were doing when we installed the new one. Everything is all aligned and tightened down, rebuilding the carbs probably today.

Comment

Sounds good
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
              X