Yamaha LS2000 overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha LS2000 overheating

One engine seems to be overheating since after running for a few minutes, the throttle on starboard limits to 3K RPM or so. I find that if I let it sit and then try again, it will run for a little while again. I do not have an overheat indicator in the panel but I suspect this is the problem.

- Water is coming out of the pee holes but I understand this only means that the jet pump is circulating water.
    - I just replaced the impellers, impeller ducts, liners, and jet pumps thanks to SBT. Great service and thanks again

I posted on a forum and I was told to pull off the exhaust ring and check to see if the cooling "veins" (3?) are clogged. Apparently this can happen and I do run in a sandy river.

How can I diagnose my problem for sure? Ideas? Thank you in advance

Re: Yamaha LS2000 overheating

It does sound like the temp sensor is reading an overheat condition.
    Check the supply hose between jet pump and engine and be sure it is clear.
    It could be a restriction in the exhaust and that sometimes requires dis assembly if the obstruction doesn't flow through.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you. I checked the supply line and it is clear. When on the water I do get water out of the pee holes so that leads me to believe that I am getting water in. I also ran this on the hose and I get water out the back exhaust and it appears to be a similar flow as the other engine/side that is not overheating.

I don't know if I freed something since I have not run it on the water since going through the lines and running it on the hose. I was told to use an infrared thermometer to check the engine temp to see if this could be a bad sensor.

I tried to break down the exhaust ring since I am told there are some "veins" that can get clogged. I can not find where these are on my LS2000 (GP1200 engines?). Any ideas on whether this is easy to get to and where these are located. The service manual isn't helping. I understand if this is beyond what the tech support is suppose to provide

Comment

Exhaust ring veins? I don't know what that is.
        They might mean the the veins in the jet pump (#4 in attached link).
        It is possible to have debris in this area.
        Or, they might be referring to the water jacket in the exhaust.
        The passages can get clogged.
        Another possibility is the exhaust temp sensor is failing and showing a false overheat.
        A hand held temp "gun" would help diagnose that if you can borrow one.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....EXHAUST-SYSTEM
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
          Exhaust ring veins? I don't know what that is.
          They might mean the the veins in the jet pump (#4 in attached link).
          It is possible to have debris in this area.
          Or, they might be referring to the water jacket in the exhaust.
          The passages can get clogged.
          Another possibility is the exhaust temp sensor is failing and showing a false overheat.
          A hand held temp "gun" would help diagnose that if you can borrow one.

Watercraft Superstore W/ Cycle Springs Powersports 2002 Yamaha Jet Boat LS 2000 Parts List
          i think they mean the water jacket in the exhaust. Do you know where that is in the picture? Again, thanks for the help. It is suppose to be 80 degrees this weekend and I would like to take my last trip out.

Comment

Look at items 31, and 33. The elongated holes in each can get corroded and plugged, but it is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
              Look at items 31, and 33. The elongated holes in each can get corroded and plugged, but it is rare.
              It was item 33 and I just wanted to circle back in case this helps someone else. I think this is the root of a lot more problems that are misdiagnosed (i.e. fuel system, bogging) than is realized. The newer boats have a screen at the jet pump intake but these older 2 strokes do not and unless you have a strainer, the 3 holes in this chamber (#33 in the diagram) can definitely restrict the water that is needed for cooling. I pulled this apart, cleared out the holes, and the problem is fixed.

Comment

Thanks, good to know what caused the problem and that is good to go now.

Comment

Working...
                X