GP1200R starter motor replacement - probs removing old starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP1200R starter motor replacement - probs removing old starter

I have a 2001 GP1200R and believe I have a bad starter motor. Have stripped out the exhaust manifold and first muffler section to access starter. Have removed 2 bolts that hold starter against crankcase. Is there another hidden nut or bolt that needs to come off as well ?

From images of new starter seen online, it appears the starter just presses into the housing and is sealed by 2 O-rings. However, I dont want to damage anything forcing the starter to come free. It there a trick to this procedure ? What am I missing ?

I would appreciate the collective wisdom of this Forum as its my first post and I have searched the forum but cant find any posts about Starter removal on GP1200

And is it mandatory to reinstall all bolts on the exhaust system with LocTite or some other threadlocker ? All these bolts were a real pain to undo and were all tight almost until they were undone. I have the bruises to prove it.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Re: GP1200R starter motor replacement - probs removing old starter

there is no real trick to removing the starter sometimes the O-rings get locked uo so careful prying will work to remove it,as for using lock tite it is reccomended
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: GP1200R starter motor replacement - probs removing old starter

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
      there is no real trick to removing the starter sometimes the O-rings get locked uo so careful prying will work to remove it,as for using lock tite it is recommended
      Thanks Admin. I will carefully try to pry it out now I know there are no other hidden fasteners holding it in. I just cant imagine how I would have removed the starter with the exhaust manifold still in place as you need to be a contortionist to get your hands down under it. Some other posts I have read on other forums suggest its possible to remove the starter without exhaust system removal but I cannot how this is possible .

In your experience can starters get corrosion in the area they slide into causing them to jam up ?

Thanks for the prompt response anyway. Phil

Comment

Working...
      X