1200 xlt piston meltdown need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1200 xlt piston meltdown need advise

Hey I am new to this forum and new to wave runners, but I have read a lot of great information in here so I thought I would see if anyone has any good advise or opinions regarding my PWC.
    I have a 2004 1200xlt with 66 power valve and a D-Plate. The oil tank has been blocked off and a plate installed.
    While riding last year I discovered piston #2 had lost compression; I was told that the power valve had come apart and damaged the piston; so I sent it off to PWC Engines in New york to be professionally rebuilt. (Not sure if that was my first mistake).
    Engine came back and had it installed by a reputable PWC shop and the carbs rebuilt with original Kuni rebuild kits.
    I followed all the recommendations for breaking in a new engine; 30 minute runs at 10%, 20% and then 40% ect; extra oil in the mix; I even brought 3 sets of new plugs in case I fouled a plug. Well the bike ran great the first two runs; plugs looked identical across all 3 cylinders. I refueled and put in a set of plugs for our 30min 50%-60% run and you guessed it....10 minutes into it ,and it came back limping. The case was shattered; the #2 piston had melted down. Well now it has been rebuilt again under warranty (ya right)..... and of course I have been told that it was not the re builders fault; but an oil starvation/lean situation. I don't care whose fault it is at this point; I just don't want to have another melt down....any ideas or opinions on this situation would be great; things to watch out for. I have read about changing the jetting; but with extra oil and the plugs looking good; I am not sure how a lean situation could have occurred like these guys where saying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	motor1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	256559Click image for larger version

Name:	motor2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	256560

Re: 1200 xlt piston meltdown need advise

I don't have any great advice other than to look at the cooling while you continue to review this. You said this is the same cylinder (#2) and I would wonder whether you are overheating. Do you have an overheat sensor that you know of? If not, when you get this fixed up, you should check the temperature every few minutes while you are breaking it in and you should verify that your cooling system is working completely given the meltdown. I assume you have the oil mixture ratio and break-in correct

Comment

Working...
    X