FX140 (2002) - slow issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX140 (2002) - slow issue

Under load (on water) ski doesn't accelerate as fast as it used to (just last season) RPMs only reach 8,000 - 8,500 under load (10,000+ otherwise), top speed about 35-38, vs 45-52 previously. On the trailer, RPMs will reach just over 10,000.

Recently changed oil / filter, air filter not saturated, spark plugs recently replaced, none wet after usage and they look healthy after a few trips. Equal compression on all cylinders. Fuel consumption seems higher than usual. If I didn't know the normal performance of the ski, I would presume nothing was wrong.

Not sure where to look next?

Re: FX140 (2002) - slow issue

Sounds like you have ruled out the engine. You have good fuel, air, spark, and compression. Must be the jet pump. Not to familiar with these but I would focus on this and research how they wear out and what could be wrong. Any one else have some experience with this?

Comment

Could it be a fuel delivery problem (like gummed up fuel injectors) ?

Comment

Possibly, did you already change the fuel filter? I was assuming you had. If not i would do that first.

Comment

I see a fuel filter on the oem diagrams that looks like a bag on the fill hose side. And I see a water separator, is the water separator what you're referencing? Also, what about the injectors?

Comment

I don't think its the injectors because you didn't mention it running rough. It sounds like it is not getting enough fuel to maintain rpms under load. The bag should be a strainer just to prevent anything big being poured into the tank. It looks like there is a filter/screen on the bottom of the fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
            X