Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine removal progress pics, and further diagnosis (SL900)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal progress pics, and further diagnosis (SL900)

Me again :D Have some ?'s below, but first some pics.

Here's where I'm at so far with this thing:

As for my questions, I ended up with a problem when popping off the throttle cable assembly from the intake manifold. The U shaped portion of the manifold snapped off. Looks like the front portion of the intake is extremely corroded and in very rough shape. Any idea what could have caused that extreme corrosion? The rest of it looks ok. Any thoughts aside from picking up a new (or used) intake manifold that would help to fix the throttle cable problem? Was going to try to work some JB Weld magic with the piece that broke off (if I can find it) and hope the throttle assembly washers can hold the thing in place.

Re: Engine removal progress pics, and further diagnosis (SL900)

Polaris used the worst paint in the industry (flaking after only a few hours) and soft metals compared to other OEMs. That type of damage is very common.

I don't know why you are protecting the bottom end and other cylinders like that - your engine is toast. That hole in your piston took out your crank with aluminum deposits.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support

I don't know why you are protecting the bottom end and other cylinders like that - your engine is toast. That hole in your piston took out your crank with aluminum deposits.
      Call me a wishful thinker, and someone willing to take a bit of a gamble :)

If it doesn't work out for me, oh well, a couple hundred bucks lost and I'll give you guys a call in a few months to setup my 900 order to be ready for next summer.

Comment

Let me guess - you're not going to rebuild your carbs either

Comment

Let me guess - you're not going to rebuild your carbs either
          Hey man, there's no reason to get snooty with me about not wanting to buy an engine without trying an alternate route first. I'm kinda irked about your attitude considering I may be a potential customer anyways; maybe I'll be "just another customer" for you guys, but I'd be a customer nonetheless. This is a tech help forum is it not? I haven't been rude in any way, so I don't see why you need to be sarcastic about things...

And for your information, yes, I am having my carbs rebuilt or rebuilding them myself, I haven't decided. Since new engine or not, it's going to be necessary.

Comment

This has nothing to do with you buying an engine or not. I didn't even suggest you buy one. I'm also not being snooty - YES this IS a tech forum, and I'm giving you (and everyone else reading this thread) the correct instruction. Putting a fresh top end on a crank that has been contaminated is very foolish, and I know what your results will be without you having to try. Your attempt to be cheap will undoubtedly cost you more in the future, after your crank fails, possibly costing you another $1500+ for a new engine or rebuild, plus case when your gets destroyed - yes, it happens every day. No, you are not the first one to try this, no you are not the first one to think it will work.

Search the forum, there are plenty enough exmaples of this exact type of thread. Eventually, the poster comes back and says I was right, they should have listened in the first place and replaced the crank also, or the whole engine, or rebuilt the whole engine, etc.

But hey, do what you will, I'm just giving you advice, I can't make you take it.

Comment

I appreciate you trying to save me money in the long run, but what I'm trying to get at is that you don't have to insult me by calling me "cheap" and insinuating that I wouldn't rebuild my carbs. It's unnecessary. Your opinion is one of many that I've received, and the opinions are all over the map. I have no reason to value yours over any of the others that I have. I'm taking everything people have told me and given things serious consideration. This thread wasn't even meant to be about what I was going to do w/ the motor, just a thread w/ some pics for those interested and some ?'s about my intake manifold.

Maybe you're coming off snooty online and you don't even realize it. But the way I'm reading it isn't exactly a friendly tone.

Comment

No unfriendly tone intended.

The carb comment comes from your self-title 'wishful thinker'. Most people that don't do proper repairs in one area carry that attitude to the rest of the ski.

Comment

Oh well, guess I'm not most people ;)

We'll see how things go. I'm 100% meticulous when working on my racecar, but this is more of a toy for me, so if it's down for longer b/c I made a mistake in trying to save some money, it's not going to kill me.

Comment

I just can't understand people that think like that. It's like slamming into a curb and smashing your rim, then only replacing the tire.

Comment

I just can't understand people that think like that. It's like slamming into a curb and smashing your rim, then only replacing the tire.
                      Well, what can you say about the cases I've read where people have solved the problem by replacing the top end successfully and been fine?

What would I have saved then?

I haven't completely made up my mind yet anyways. I've not yet pulled the motor out completely to do some further inspection, nor am I done dealing with hurricane damage to my home from Frances which is slightly influencing my decision.

Comment

Show me where someone had a hole in the piston, only replaced the top-end and it's still running after putting some time on it.

Comment

Sure.. after lunch I'll try to bring up some links, I didn't bookmark any of it....

Already spent too much time arguing about this while at work :p

Comment

Working...
                          X