Challenger 1800 - 787 engine problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger 1800 - 787 engine problems

so I took the boat out on Saturday and after running pretty light for about an hour (15 mph with a tube and little kids on the back) one of the engines froze up on me. When I got home, I pulled the head and found one of the pistons is beat up. I was able to get the engine to turn over fine after spraying lube in there, but have little to no compression in that cylinder. What can I do to get this fixed? Can I replace the rings to get compression back? Should I replace the piston and rings? Pretty sure the carbs need cleaning/rebuild. Any help is greatly appreciated. Pretty new to this, so learning as I go (and as I make mistakes)

Re: Challenger 1800 - 787 engine problems

I have pictures but file size is too large, know how to post them?

Comment

Here is a picture
      Attached Files

Comment

Pull the cylinders and see what the crank looks like too. If the crank is in good shape then maybe do a cylinder exchange kit and rebuild your carbs.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Are you suggesting a whole top end rebuild? Or can I replace just the piston and rings? I will take off the cylinder tonight and take a look at the crank, hoping it looks OK since it turns freely and is not making any grinding or banging sounds.

Comment

it will need to be bored out dont just do the piston and rings, it will not last

Comment

can I do just the one cylinder or do both need to be done?

Comment

OK, so I pulled the carbs tonight and will pull the exhaust tomorrow so I can get the cylinder off to inspect. I did stick my finger down into the rotary valve whole and felt around a bit. I do have a little bit of metal shavings from the top of the piston down there... am I better off with a whole new engine?? Don't have the cash right now, looking for the most economical fix. Can I pull the piston and cylinder and take it to a shop to make a "band aid" and get it running.

Comment

It’s really not a good idea to just bore one cylinder and if the crank has metal shavings on it from the top end failure, you will need to remove it and clean and inspect it. If you band aid it back together it may fail and destroy the case or other expensive parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X