94 Montego 640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Montego 640

While I am waiting for the UPS man to deliver my SBT engine I thought of going thru the carb. what is the factory settings for the carb?

Your stock setting is 7/8th of a turn out on your low-speed screw.

Comment

This might sound like a silly question, but please be gentle as this is my first time with a tiger shark. No High side adjustment? At one time I could boast that I only did Yamahas, well I lost that right as of this one engine. Man, the engines are very very similar in fact the intake is the same as the 62T. I would guess to say Suzuky did a little industrial espionage before manufacturing their engine.

Comment

Your carb has a high speed and a low speed adjustment. The low speed is the one closest to the engine and has a T handle on it. The high speed screw is the one furthest from the motor and has a limiter cap on it that must be removed before you can adjust it.

Comment

OK but what is the setting or factory start point. The low is 7/8 and the high is ? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay then...this is right out of my 97 640 service manual and my sister had a 95 640 and it was the same motor and carb on that one so here goes..."remove the limiter cap from the low speed mixture screw. Carefully rotate the the low speed screw clockwise until lightly seated, then turn counter clockwise 7/8. attach flush kit start engine, turn water on, and allow engine to reach normal operating temp. rotate low speed screw clockwise or counter clockwise until engine idles smoothly and quickly responds to to throttle lever movement. install limiter cap with tab centered between stops." Sorry it gives no specifacation for the high speed screw.

Comment

I'll verify if your particular model has or doesn't have a high-speed screw in the morning. Not all skis have them - some have just a fixed jet on the highs.

Comment

It does have a fixed jet for the high speed.

Comment

Well I'm a bit confused. This boat has a Carb that has both a high and low setting (adjustment screws) . I have set the low (next to the throttle mechanisign to 7/8) The high was at two full trun's is this correct? my YAMAHA Manaul say's that some 650 are between 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 so i have it set at 1 1/2. If you ask why read my second post on corporate espinage. I do feel there is some serious dubbing going on here so I think (correct me if I am wrong) but the high setting will be very very close. The engine has come in so I really need the correct settings as I do not want to blow an engine during the break in.

Comment

In '94 they used the standard high and low speed screws. later models only have a low-speed screw.

1 1/2 turns is a sfe place to sstart, but you will want to go back and do plug reads to fine tune - you will probably be a bit rich.

Comment

Working...
                    X