replacement block difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement block difference

I just finished replacing a 760 waveraider motor, and during one of the first steps to reassembly I ran into a problem. The threaded mounting hole for the bottom starter bolt was too large! I wasn't able to determine if it was stripped out or actually drilled bigger and re-tapped. In any case I had to go out and find a longer bolt with a nut and lockwasher to back it up. Is this normal?

I'm not clear on what hole you're talking about - you are talking about using a stud with a washer and nut?

The two starter mounting bolts are I believe M8's and no it's not normal to be a different size, although it's possible one was mis-tapped accidentally.

Comment

There are two starter mounting bolts and I am talking about the lower one. The bolt is supposed to screw into a cast ear off the motor casing. That cast ear was tapped with the incorrect size hole (too large) for the M8 bolt. I had to go out and get a longer M8 bolt so that the threads would go all the way through the ear, and be secured by a nut on the other side. Will this "accident" come into consideration on the cost of the motor?

Comment

OK, I understand now.

No that doesn't effect the price of the engine, it's a warranty issue. I can however compensate you for the parts you had to purchase, just fax me the receipt and I'll send you a check.

In the future please call in with these issues, I need to authorize field repairs up front.

[ September 20, 2002, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

Working...
        X