Freeze damage VX110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze damage VX110

I have an '06 VX110. Upon startup for the year, it ran fro about a minute and then quit. I pulled off the seat and there was a water/oil mix in the bilge. There was the same mix in the airbox. I pulled the plugs and when I turned it over, the same mix shot out. Evidently, it is cracked somewhere. I have winterized them myself since new. It was stored on a lift over the winter, and in January the lift lost air and the waverunner sat in the water, and the water froze. i don't think that any water got up into the engine, but who knows? On the lift, the waverunner does not sit level, but sits at an angle that makes it "nose high" so that water will flow off of the floorboards after use. Could it be that with this angle not all of the water got expelled when I was winterizing? Where would a guy start as far as troubleshooting where the breach is?

Thanks!

Re: Freeze damage VX110

ok, so basically your saying that you winterized the ski yourself, ok, did you use any antifreeze (Pink eco friendly)? and the lift lowered on its own. It is possible that water did make it`s way into the hull.
    was the ski covered? what color was the water? was it fresh tap water? sea water?
    at any rate, you now have oil water mix in the hull, and in the air box, is it possible that the water in the hull was high enough to get into the air box and you started the ski with water in there? or was the water already lying in the hull?
    nonetheless>>> if it were me, I would look for the obvious first. Something external, a weak part, a hole, a crack, get an inspection mirror and start hunting...
    Even if you didn`t find anything water and oil blowing out of the plug holes is not good. I would remove the engine and disassemble it to inspect every part and find the failure...
    good luck, let us know what you find. Hope it is something simple...

the engine could have hydrolocked, and that`s a problem for sure...
    1998 SeaDoo Challenger 1800

sigpic

Comment

The plan is to tear it down. Is there anyplace in particular to look? Is there a certain "weak spot" that would be a good place to start?

Comment

Originally posted by 36Tango View Post
        The plan is to tear it down. Is there anyplace in particular to look? Is there a certain "weak spot" that would be a good place to start?
        Since the water has mixed with oil and you found it in the crankcase I would suggest looking over the head for any cracks and also the cylinder walls.block for cracks.
        OR you could have simply started the engine with water in the airbox and hydrolocked the engine. I would also check out the heights of the pistons in relation to the block deck for starters there. I undertsand that this is not a cheap engine to repair. As water freezes and expands it has the force to blow out the block in the water jackets. Good luck...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pale Rider View Post
          Since the water has mixed with oil and you found it in the crankcase I would suggest looking over the head for any cracks and also the cylinder walls.block for cracks.
          OR you could have simply started the engine with water in the airbox and hydrolocked the engine. I would also check out the heights of the pistons in relation to the block deck for starters there. I undertsand that this is not a cheap engine to repair. As water freezes and expands it has the force to blow out the block in the water jackets. Good luck...
          With any luck, it will just be a head, but who knows. SBT has an $1800 engine, but the problem is that I do not know what is wrong with my block. I would hate to buy an SBT, send my motor in, and then find out that they need an extra $1000 because my core is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 36Tango View Post
            With any luck, it will just be a head, but who knows. SBT has an $1800 engine, but the problem is that I do not know what is wrong with my block. I would hate to buy an SBT, send my motor in, and then find out that they need an extra $1000 because my core is bad.
            All depends on what ya find as you disassemble. You could always remove the head and send it to a local automotive shop for pressure testing. Same with the block if you strip it down, or atleast call an automotive shop and see what they require on your part. Now you have to add up all the new parts, your time, labor expenses and see what is a cost effective solution. worse case, you could be looking at a disaster, cracked block internally, cracked head, bent connecting rod from firing up the engine, damaged head/valves etc...
            it could very well be a total loss... I don`t know your location, but Millennium Technologies also repairs damaged heads. At this point we are only guessing until you get to wrenching on the engine...
            take some pics and post what you find...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X