2000 xlt 700 High Revving on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 xlt 700 High Revving on startup

Have a completely stock xl 700. Wouldn't start, installed new fuel filter, still no start. New NGK factory spec plugs good. Blew, by mouth(using clean tube) through "out fuel line" heard bubles in tank. After this fuel began to flow to filter very well. Connected fuel line on both sides of filter. Started engine and it instantly went to top RPM. I shut it down immediately. Tried 3 more times, same thing. Throttle cable functions smoothly when engine is off. Butterflies move as they should. Did I blow too much pressure back into tank and rupture something?
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: 2000 xlt 700 High Revving on startup

No it sounds like you have an air leak in the case causing a lean condition, could be bad rear crank seals, intake seals leaking, carb base gaskets, etc.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 2000 xlt 700 High Revving on startup

Thanks for the response. I found the problem. The outer sheath on the throttle cable at the Carb end came out of the crimped elbow fitting. This caused the throttle plates to open enough causing the engine to rev very high under a no load condition (on the trailer). I repaired the throttle cable and the engine now idles perfectly.
      Thanks again the the response and ideas.

Comment

Working...
      X